Saturday, April 4, 2009

Alan Turing was Gay!

I just recently found out that Alan Turing was gay. I know for people who are not gay it is hard to understand why this is important, so let me try to explain. For some reason, it is important to have mirroring. This is where you see people like you in history or in present time that are successful and you identify with them. This helps a person to be motivated and to feel hopeful. I can only explain this from personal experience. I can't say that I understand it or could prove it was needed in any other way than personal testimony. However, the fact that Alan Turing is gay gives me a mirror as a gay person. I am proud to say that one of the most important computer scientists of all time was gay. Pretty amazing.

I found out by reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon which is a real good book! run to the bookstore if you haven't already heard of this book. Run don't walk!

3 comments:

Tommy McGuire said...

If you get the chance, check out the play "Breaking the Code", based on the book, Alan Turing: the Enigma by Andrew Hodges.

Alex McFerron said...

Thanks! i just ordered it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=128368&title=Tangled-Up-in-Bleu

This is a funny clip about gays in the military from the Daily Show