Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Future of Java?

James Gosling leaving Oracle

This is an interesting drama and the future of Java is now in Oracle's hands. Oracle now runs sun microsystems and evidently there is a big culture shift between the two companies. James Gosling, Jonathan Schwartz, Tim Bray, Simon Phipps, and Scott McNealy have all left. It is a new day for Java.

Java today is the most popular programming language in the world if you use internet searching to determine language popularity.

When I first learned Java in school I loved it. We had been programming in C and C++ and my college switched to Java. The first thing that I noticed about it was its API documentation. It was easy to find, understand, and learn. I loved being able to automatically generate my javadocs and use junit for unit testing and ant for building my projects.

Many years later I'm still working in Java. Currently, I'm using it to work on my research poker project. We choose java for this project because it will run on linux as well as windows with ease and many of the existing academic based poker academy api's are written in Java.

Only time will tell what will happen with the future of Java, but it is in Oracle's hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/suns-chief-executive-tweets-his-resignation/

CEO tweeted his resignation

aeromodelisme said...

This blog is very good source of knowledgeable information. I am glad to visit this place.