I'm introducing a new series of posts today. It is called the Executive Summary. Here is the first entry of this series: HTML 5
Things you need to know:
(0) HTML 5 is really a combination of technologies:
(1) IE browsers are behind in supporting HTML 5 so in using these features you must do a lot of browser checking. The other main browsers are also supporting HTML markup tags in a piecemeal fashion, so you must make sure each feature is supported by each particular browser.
(2) The most important new features provided in new markup tags: Video, Audio, Drawing (called Canvas), Storage, GeoLocation
(3) HTML 5 isn't going to completely wipe out silverlight and other plugins because it does not have exactly every feature that they support. It is too early and premature to think that way.
(4) PhoneGap - you can code up apps in HTML 5 and use PhoneGap to port to different phone OS's. However, expect to do some work porting even when using Phone Gap.
(7) HTML5 - is going to be a nice mulch-platform solution soon, once all browsers support it.